I love using the crock pot, because then I don't feel like I did a whole lot to get dinner ready, and can ACTUALLY enjoy my food when I eat it. Yummy delicious food.
- 1 8-ounce can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard*
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
* I didn't have dry mustard on hand, so I put a couple squirts of dijon. Still delicious!*
This is a double batch FYI. Had chicken that needed to be used, so I doubled and froze half for another dinner. I just wanted to clarify so you're not confused seeing all that mustard. :)
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.
- This was great on buns, and I'm sure it would be great over rice, on salads, or regular bread as well.
- Nutrition: (just meat mix. Choose your bread/bun wisely)