To my dear friend Kellee... Your are awesome! Thank you for introducing me to this dessert. I've made it the past two weekends, and everyone that tried it LOVED it. Definitely a keeper.
The only difference I made, was the almonds. I used sliced, because it was what I had in my cupboard. And 8 ounces seemed like A LOT. (especially cuz I don't really like nuts in my food). So of my 4.5 oz pouch, I only put about half, and it was still tasty. Just throwing that out there.
- 3/4 c butter
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 c sweetened coconut
- 8 oz slivered almonds
- 3 1/2 c crushed rice chex
- 1/2 gal vanilla ice cream (keep in mind, you need 2 qts to = 1/2 gallon. The boxes of ice cream aren't quite that. At least, I never found one)
- Melt butter. Add brown sugar and bring to boil for 1 minute. Add coconut, almonds, and rice chex.
- Press half of the mix in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Cut ice cream and fill pan. (I thought boxed ice cream made this easy because they would lay flat)
- Place rest of the mix on top.
- Cover with foil and freeze.
I had to take a pic of the coconut.
It just looked too pretty in that blue cup.